Is Twitter CPD?

I found Twitter relatively late compared to many of my ultra geek friends but it has very quickly become one of the most valuable tools in my arsenal, why?

I use Facebook and Twitter in very different ways.

Facebook for me is a way to keep in touch with family and friends across the water, and at home. Easy to share photos and thoughts and a great way, to lets face it, satisfy our nosy need to keep in the social loop. But for me it is just for friends, I don't really want the world to know too much about me (I don't post too much detail, I'm not that guy) so I don't friend request or accept people I don't know personally.

Twitter is a different beast for me. I have very few 'friends' on twitter but I follow numerous people who's opinions I respect and geeks far geekier than me that show me doors I would either never have opened or even known about. When I look down my Twitter feed I see page after page of useful information and thoughts that provoke interesting discussion. Some of these people have become Twitter friends but neither they nor I really want to know where they are going out tonight, and that's OK as that info is saved for other social networks.

I have made many useful contacts for my own subject and it has stimulated discussions between my own forward thinking colleagues on the direction of teaching and reactions to the latest controversial Gove statement. Forums are great but replies to posts can take a while, with Twitter it's usually seconds but sometimes it's whole minutes!

Twitter is FREE CPD training for me and the best I've ever had. No traveling, no waiting, no boredom. I get updates to current thinking whenever I want and can discuss subject specific questions with experts for free and at will. The Twitter community, put simply, has reinvigorated me and continues to push my standards.

If you're not on it get on it! I will follow you @JerseyITguy

#TwitterIsGreatCPD
Reviewed by Rory Steel on 1:04 AM Rating: 5

No comments