28 Apps to save you time

Teacher Admin Apps

Apps to save you time


Follow Me on Twitter - JerseyITguy

Follow Me on YouTube - JerseyITguy


While this may contain some obvious apps for the seasoned iPad user it will certainly save the new user some cash avoiding the apps I have bought and forgotten about (Come on Apple make a trial app period). And for the seasoned app'er you might see some new ways to use old apps, and even seen one or two new ones.....


This app list is in no particular order as everyone will find different apps more or less useful. I have tried to bundle apps that work well together.



DropBox

Free

If you don't have a dropbox account you are missing out on a fantastic resource and I would sign up now! (please use this link and my account is increased in size). You get 2GB of free storage which can be (with referrals) upgraded for free to 10GB! It syncs all your documents on multiple computers (mac & PC) and mobile devices. A MUST


FileApp

free


While Dropbox has amazing inbuilt document readers it does lack an OpenOffice reader. This free app teas care of that problem and you will be able to view any shared ODT file.


DocsToGo

£11.99


It is an expensive file reading/editing app but you can sync to GoogleDocs which I use a lot. And until Google sorts out some decent app syncing this is a must for me. If you don't use Google docs and have other document editing apps you might want to give this a miss.


Evernote

Free


A lot of Apps backup to Dropbox but some will only use Evernote, so worth signing up for free. Evernote its self is a great app and while I'm a dropbox fan other prefer this. They are both free so use them both!


Keynote

£6.99


I rarely use my iMac or MacBook now (my wife now calls them 'hers') so when I prepare presentation Keynote is a must. Quite expensive as apps go but this has great features and delivers a professional presentation that I can edit on the fly (usually minutes before hand).


Keynote Remote

£0.69


If you're not using Appel TV to present and you have an iPhone/iPod Touch then this is a must. Leave your presentation plugged in to a projector and walk around swiping to the next page with notes in your hand. iCloud also means that your work is saved automatically (I do wish it also had the ability to save to dropbox).


Pages

£6.99


Another expensive app, but again worth it, another iCloud app and also contains quite professional features.


iMovie

£2.99


'Death by PowerPoint' (or even Keynote) no more! Make videos for class intro, its so easy and contains great effects to make you look like you have spent hours. Easy to set up and a great price.


GarageBand

£2.99


More for the seasons presenter but I use GarageBand to add extra sounds and better audio notes to the iMovie presentations. It can be used as a great addition to any subject that uses music. Our A-Level Drama dept says that it has revolutionised the way they teach.


Prezi Viewer

Free (Must have Free Prezi Account)


Prezi is a flash based online product and this allows you to view it on the iPad. It really adds another dimension to presentations, anything to keep their attention.


Touch Draw

£5.99


Again a relatively expensive app but one that allows vector graphics and better visuals to go into presentations. I use this quite a bit for technical drawings and flow charts.


PhotoSync

£1.49


Unlike the name suggests I don't use this much for Photos. This app allows you to transfer photos, but more importantly, video between iOS and Mac devices. So if you video on your iPhone and want to edit on the iPad or Mac you can transfer without having to plug in. PhotoStream is good for the images but this allows the video to sync. A MUST HAVE


Eye-Fi

Free (Must have Eye-fi card)


If the new 8MP camera isn't enough for you, you can buy an Eye-Fi SD Card that allows wireless syncing between you DSLR or SD card using device directly to your iPad. This allows for editing on the fly. An indulgent app


SnapSeed

£2.99


This is the photo editing tool I use the most, it is easy to use and well priced. For those that had the 12 days of Xmas App I hope you got it for free this year.


ArtRage

£2.99


This is amazing. I teach a little art every now and again an I use this to do large demos. The ways the paint behaves is unbelievable. A fantastic price for a powerful tool.


Brushes

£5.49


If Art rage captured the creation of the painting in the way Brushes does I would but Brushes. But this feature is so useful to show students how I created an image that I have to have it. Quite expensive compared to Art rage, which I think is better, but until they add the capture feature I have to have this. (You have to view the creation file on a Mac)


Audio Note

£2.99


This is a must for meetings. Let the microphone record the meeting (it pick up voices at a distance very well) and add you r notes every now and again. When you listen to the notes back the written text highlights when the voice reraches the point the note was made. Does lack cloud syncing but you can email the notes.


Dragon Dictation

Free


Before Siri I used to use this. If you have large amounts of written work to mark I read it on my iPad and speak the notes into Dragon. I then email the notes directly to my students. It doesn't get it right 100% of the time but the students know this and when I asked them they said they would rather have the larger notes (made on Dragon) with mistakes that the smaller but 100% correct written notes.


TeacherPal

Free


I lovely app for people like me who take time to get the faces and the names right. It tracks performance and allows custom notes, like any special needs requirements or general notes.


aNote Lite

Free


If you tracy students more closely that just marks this app allows you to created groups to make notes on individuals (allows text and photo notes). Really helps for parent nights and you can email students progress updates.


LanSchool Teachers Assistant

Free (Must have LanSchool)


YOU MUST HAVE LANSCHOOL INSTALLED. We track the computer monitors in our school using LanSchool, this app allows me to walk around the classroom and still be able to see individual screens at will. I wist they could make an iPad tracker!


CanScanner Pro

£2.99


This is an iPhone app but the iPad Rivals have yet to impress, you can also get the free version if you don't mind a watermark. Take photos of documents or images and you can collate them into a PDF for emails. Good for meetings and recording student work without the paper trail. I like this version because it allows for batch updates of a number of images to PDF


Kindle

Free


If you read professional books for CPD this is great as some books come pre highlighted, allowing you to skim read that others have already found useful. Fantastic time saver. Remember to make your own highlights to add to the community. I also copy and paste my highlights to colleges to help them see my thoughts and visions.


iBooks

Free


A must for collating PDF files form the internet. I now have quite a collection of professional texts.


MobileRSS Free

Free


Don't go to websites to keep up to date. Subscribe to the RSS feeds and let the info find you. This has replaced a newspaper for me.


Atomic Web Browser Lite

Free


Some sites are still not setup for movie devices or just simply make you use the mobile version that you may not want. This app lets you choose the browser type to display the website in. Really helps in some situations. If only it coped with Flash too....


Twitter

Free


I don't use twitter for social reasons, it can be a great CD tool. Subscribe to other professionals and see what going on in your sphere. I have found out a lot of new and useful info from twitter and it has now replaced Facebook on my iPhones frontpage!


Onavo

Free


If, like me, you travel a lot and want to save your precious data usage, this app condenses data to give you more for free. Not sure how it works but it keeps my data cost down so I don't care.


I hope this has been useful and please follow the page and send this link to others, follow my twitter page (JerseyITguy) if you have.



28 Apps to save you time 28 Apps to save you time Reviewed by Rory Steel on 6:16 AM Rating: 5

No comments